Re: TTY display has lost lower case

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:50:54 -0800, you wrote:

>|> TTY1 went bonkers last night.  I had done "pr XF86Config | less."
>|> Halfway down the second page it started printing the old IBM text based
>|> graphic characters.  (At least that's what they look like.)  Upper case
>|> and numbers look ok, except for a few oddities, eg. the underscore is a
>|> space and the + is a right arrow.  --just found the underscore, it's
>|> 's'.
>
>Try typing `reset' on tty1
>
>To view XF86Config on the console you should just do:
>
>  less XF86Config
>
>The pr command readies the file for printing, so what you're seeing on
>the screen, I suppose, are the control sequences that are meant to
>determine how the printer handles the printing.
>
>If that's the right diagnosis, then reset should return the console to
>normal.
>
>This has nought to do with emacs though, has it?
>
>Jim
Thanks Jim and Chris.  'reset' worked like a charm.  Jim, the diagnosis
was wrong but the prescription worked anyway.  I could still type in a
command, such as 'ps aux' and get the expected output, lower case
looking like gibberish; upper case and numerals appearing normal.  My
lower case input was echoed as gibberish.  I was in fact eyeballing
prior to sending to the printer.  tty2 handled that fb.

Tnx again guys, and especially for not advising RTFM since I had no idea
which FM.

gt