Re: Impressive GOsa start and log in waiting times

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:19:32PM +0200, roman.meier@gismap.ch wrote:
> > 192.168.x.x-Pool.

[..]

> > My statement is also based on the same manual, which is saying that
> > the thin clients are getting ip's from the 192.168.x.x-pool and not
> > from the 10.0.x.x-pool as it is happening in my setup. Am I getting
> > this right?

This is outdated content in the manual, thanks for reporting. The image
showing the network architecture is up-to-date:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Stretch/Architecture#Network

> > Anyway, I added the network card again and did the connections exactly as
> > you suggested and I can see significant changes:
>
> - The client selection menu, where a user can choose from thin client,
> diskless workstation, installs, etc. does not show anymore. Instead all
> users are directed toward the diskless workstation.

That's like expected; the PXE menu is only shown if a client is
connected to the (mixed client) 10.0.0.0/8 network. The 192.168.0.0/24
network is a dedicated LTSP client one (and clients show up either as
thin clients or diskless workstations); see:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Stretch/HowTo/NetworkClients#LTSP_client_type_selection

> - Pinging to the router on 10.0.0.1 works incl. internet (except dns).

Failing DNS might be site specific.

Wolfgang