Re: More new packages for Debian Edu

[Holger Levsen]
> Hi,
>
> On Donnerstag, 25. April 2013, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > I see the advantages, but worry that Konqueror, Iceweasel and Chromium
> > are too many browsers to include.
>
> we should install+include chromium.

I am not against installing chromium as such, but I fear the cognitive
strain we continue to increase on the pupils and teachers.  Every time
we add a new package and especially when we add yet another package
doing almost the same as another instaleld package, we make it harder
for our users.  Your argumentation seem to ignore these issues, so I
am a bit unsure if you believe more options are only good, or if you
also believe they are problematic.

> we should drop this idea of having a combined amd64+i386install
> medium, it bites us all the time and the benefit is small, at best.

Well, it also make sure we think hard about increasing the number of
options and thus the cognitive strain of our users.  This is for me a
very good thing. :)

> having chromium (or foo or bar or baz) is a direct benefit.

It will also be a direct disadvantage, if we just make it harder for
people to figure out what programs to use.

> my proposal:
> - i386 only netinst CD
> - amd64 only netinst CD
> - i386 only DVD
> - amd64 only DVD
> - i386+amd64 netinst like medium, not bound by CD size constrainst (aka 2gb
> usbstick image)

I believe the advantage of dropping the multi-arch netinst CD is
non-existing, as the only problem we have is that we choose to install
etckeeper a bit early.  If we accept to install it after the kernel
instead of before, we have no problem with the netinst CD.  Also, if
we choose to create 700 MiB CD instead of 650 MiB CD, there is no
problem at all.  Why are we not using 700 MiB now?  I believe we did
so earlier.  So, I oppose splitting the netinst CD into single-arch
CDs.

But I believe dropping the multi-arch DVDs is a good idea as it will
allow us to make them feature complete and equivalent to the netinst
CD installs.

--
Happy hacking