Re: Git is fun, Git is pretty, Git is useful, so why not using it?

Hi all,

On So 01 Apr 2012 17:48:34 CEST Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

[David Prévot]
Unless real blockers can be pointed, and not addressed, I guess we
should consider giving those who are willing to prepare the
Subversion to Git conversion a green light and get prepared to use
those amazing tools (did I already mentioned I'd see that as an
improvement? ;-).

I suggest to start by migrating the CVS respository on Alioth to git.
It is used for the <URL: http://debian-edu.alioth.debian.org/ > and
have not been updated in years.  It can be converted without much
coordinatoin and training. :)

In fact, I have just moved the first projects into Git...

Skolelinux Backup (Upstream):
-----------------------------
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-edu/upstream/slbackup.git;a=summary
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-edu/upstream/slbackup-php.git;a=summary
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-edu/upstream/slbackup-www.git;a=summary

Skolelinux Backup (Debian packaging):
-------------------------------------
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-edu/slbackup-php.git;a=summary

Git Scripts for Debian Edu:
---------------------------
I have also provided a basic set of my Git scripts (others of you may have similar tools around, probably, very probably even better or more comprehensive solutions...):
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-edu/gitscripts.git

Git Hooks for Debian Edu Git Projects:
--------------------------------------
Plus: a set of Git hook scripts (post-receive, update), these have to be in a non-bare repos as they are copied/copy-included into the repositories:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-edu/hooks/.git

Setup a new Git project on git.debian.org:
There also is a script /git/debian-edu/setup-repository on vasks.debian.org (aka git.debian.org). This script gets called by the gitcreate script:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-edu/gitscripts.git;a=blob_plain;f=bin/gitcreate;hb=0ddb7adbf960ac59b84c0ced12acb83236cac415

Steps to add a new Git project to /git/debian-edu on git.debian.org. The basic rule is: one Debian package, one Git project. One upstream source project, one Git project. Unlike SVN there will not be just one great repos anymore but many many small Git projects.

0. place the gitcreate script and other scripts from gitscripts.git into ~/bin
  1. create your local base folder ,,debian-edu''
  2. suggestion 1: Git projects on first level are Debian packages
  3. suggestion 2: upstream projects are in first level folder ,,upstream''

mike@host:~/4projects/debian-edu$ tree -L 2

debian-edu (base folder)
├── slbackup-php (Debian package)
└── upstream
    ├── slbackup (Upstream project)
    ├── slbackup-php (Upstream project)
    └── slbackup-www (Upstream project)

For Debian packages...

  4a. for a new Debian package within Debian Edu: create a packaging folder
     with some code in it beneath debian-edu base folder
  5a. in that folder, call: git init
  6a. in that folder, call: ~/gitcreate

For upstream source projects...

  4b. for a new upstream project: create a folder beneath ,,upstream'' folder
      with some code in it
  5b. in that folder, call: git init
  6b. in that folder, call: ~/gitcreate upstream/<your-folder-name>

This shall just be a starting point and it basically is derived from scripts I use daily for mainting git.x2go.org. I am happy to reveive other input (everyone feel free to add your code to the scripts directly).

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: