Git is fun, Git is pretty, Git is useful, so why not using it?

Hi,

I usually see some comments on IRC, or inside some unrelated threads,
about the willingness to switch the Debian Edu repository from
Subversion to Git, and I propose to start a new thread about that.

First of all, are there known issues about the Git workflow that would
justify to stick with Subversion? I won't try to list advantages of the
switch to Git (because I'd like to keep this message short ;-)?

On the top of our heads, while discussing it, we only thought about
possible issues with translators, because the commands will change. As a
translator, who recently learned bases of CVS, Subversion and then Git
in order to commit my translations, I honestly don't think it will be a
big problem, and we can prepare a tiny wiki page to explain the needed
commands in order to commit stuff in Git, and point to the accurate
documentation (well, we only point to the “Version Control with
Subversion” in our documentation right now, so providing the actual
commands needed with Git will already be an improvement if we edit such
a page).

Unless real blockers can be pointed, and not addressed, I guess we
should consider giving those who are willing to prepare the Subversion
to Git conversion a green light and get prepared to use those amazing
tools (did I already mentioned I'd see that as an improvement? ;-).

Regards

David

P.-S.: no, it's not an April fools prank