Re: Can we get rid of network-manager?

Hi Andi (Mundt), Klaus & list,

On Do 24 Feb 2011 12:29:04 CET Klaus Knopper wrote:

Hello Mike and list,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:03:18AM +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
Hi Klaus,

Am Donnerstag, 24. Februar 2011, 00:37:45 schrieb Klaus Knopper:
> Hi all,
>
> However, I found that another way of avoiding conflicts between
> NetworkManager and ifup/ifdown is possible by just making NetworkManager
> aware of everything preconfigured in /etc/network/interfaces, and
> actually using this file for NetworkManagers configuration handling, by
> setting:
>
> [main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>
> [ifupdown]
> managed=true

I haven't know these before... This sounds handy.

My default network manager configuration though only gets activated after user
login. Does a nm configuration as you propose enable network before the user
logs in?

The short answer is "yes". :-)

[...]

@Andi: Doesn't the way Klaus describes possible usage scenarios of Network Manager provide guidelines for approaching NetworkManager setup on Skolelinux?

To me it's sounds like we should keep network-manager and use the approach Klaus provided?!?

Greets,
Mike

PS: As I experience PGP signature issues with my Horde Webclient on mailing list postings... Could someone using PGP mail to me privately, if my signature is broken on this mail? THANKS!

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: