Re: Can we get rid of network-manager?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:09:33PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The issue is that apt in Squeeze install recommends by default,
> and NetworkManager is recommended by packages we do want to install.
> We will need to rewrite the entire tasksel framework we use to install
> packages to do something about that.

I have not tested but wouldn't it be sufficient to let a relevant
metapackage simply conflict with network-manager?  From my understanding
the conflict should be "stronger" than recommends (if not I'd consider
it a bug) and so apt-get / aptitude should leave out the conflicting
package.

> I am open for suggestions.  I believe our best option is to disable
> NetworkManager, both in d-i and after installation, and leave it at
> that.

This would not solve the "other packages we do not want and come with
network-manager" issue.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--