Re: Can we get rid of network-manager?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:37:45AM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > I have not tested but wouldn't it be sufficient to let a relevant
> > metapackage simply conflict with network-manager?  From my understanding
> > the conflict should be "stronger" than recommends (if not I'd consider
> > it a bug) and so apt-get / aptitude should leave out the conflicting
> > package.
>
> Removing NetworkManager takes away the possibility of easy network
> configuration,

I did not discussed the question whether it makes sense to remove
NetworkManager or not.  I was just addressing the issue that you could
probably override the "Recommends is installed by default" issue by
properly choosen "Conflicts".

> However, I found that another way of avoiding conflicts between
> NetworkManager and ifup/ifdown is possible by just making NetworkManager
> aware of everything preconfigured in /etc/network/interfaces,

If this solution works better I'd be in favour of it.

> This may be a way of keeping NetworkManager intact in Skolelinux,
> instead of removing it completely. But it also means that you need
> another config file change, since "managed=false" is NetworkManagers
> default in Debian.

... which is probably a bad setting anyway and should be replaced by a
debconf question.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--