Re: ldap: ou=group versus ou=groups

[Andreas B. Mundt]
> I don't know why ou=group was chosen,

It was selected because it is the proposal in the only known document
proposing a standardized LDAP structure, the draft available from
<URL:http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-rfc2307bis-02>.  I saw no
need to divert from this proposal.

> I cannot imagine that using ou=group or ou=groups makes any
> difference for storing our possix groups, but from what I have seen,
> it looks as if using ou=groups is more common and the linguistic
> correct form.

How do you determine that ou=groups is more common?

At the University of Oslo, cn=filegroups and cn=netgroups are used.
The former represent the cn=group subtree in Skolelinux.  In
db.debian.org, file groups are stored in the ou=users subtree.  Those
where the LDAP instances I had easily available.  Anyone else have
other data points?

> What do you think?

I believe we should leave it unchanged unless we have a good reason to
change it.

Happy hacking,