Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 01:31:50AM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:26:49AM +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 October 2010 23:20 Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > As Holger Levsen asks: "who in skolelinux is activly working on
> > integrating cipux?" which is "doing this".

I think we work (and worked in the past) a lot to make CipUX usable
within Skolelinux. We even developed a GUI for it: Catweasel.

But to be honest, I can understand why it is not officially packaged yet.

A working Catweasel depends on a configured CipUX. If CipUX is not installed
and configured correctly you simply can't use Catweasel. You will login
and see an empty set of configuration modules. Or you won't even be able to
login.

To fulfill the dependency to CipUX the appropriate packages have to
be installed (that's the easy part, dependencies solve this) and this
howto needs to be executed:

  http://wiki.cipux.org/installation/cipux_340x_debian_edu

To resolve CipUX-ready-for-Catweasel as dependency, these steps need to be
automated inside the CipUX packages. This would be the expected behaviour
for complex packages.

Honestly, we don't want these steps inside a big installation script. It
would of course be possible, but I would consider this an ugly solution.

If we get that far the Catweasel installation is pretty easy. There are
one or two minor problems (Google Webkit not packaged for Lenny
[a build dependency], Catweasel itself is not completely finished) but
these are definitely no show stoppers.

CipUX is a quite solid middleware that solves a lot of problems. It may
not be perfect yet (common problem of software, we can live with this)
but together with Catweasel we have a nice frontend for the teacher. Both
can be enhanced for our needs that are not that uncommon. Remember, the
features we implement are wishlist items from teachers. We're free to
exchange the frontent of CipUX depending on our needs (this speaks for
a good system design), so if we need an accessible GUI we can plug it in.

Most probably you're following the same goal with GOsa.

Everyone here is interested to have our stuff integrated in Skolelinux,
everyone wants this stuff in Debian, but at the moment we don't progress
as expected with packaging (see above).

Concerning Skolelinux and RLP modifications for Skolelinux: I don't think
there is a need for differences. To be honest, the people that currently
write code (Christian, Jochen, Klaus, me) are busy finishing their work
so there is not much time for interaction with the core group from Oslo
at the moment. We need to work on this, really. :-)

Of course we follow different needs *in small details* but if you take
a look at the bigger picture, we're bringing Linux to schools. And we
decided to do this using Skolelinux.

Regards,
Martin