Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

Hi,

On 25/10/10 12:44, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Hey, what about you? You are an official DM, aren't you? ;-)

There is quite a difference between DM and DD, I am the latter.
But it doesn't matter here because I neither have the time nor the
interest to integrate CipUX into Skolelinux.

> So, your statement is that only if the CipUX team would transfer all of
> its development platforms to Skolelinux/Debian-alioth, it will happen
> that CipUX is recognized as an official option for LDAP account
> administration in Skolelinux? Is this really the procedure? I think not.
>
> Why can't Skolelinux instead check out from the official CipUX
> repositories and Debian packages for testing? Was Jonas work on Debian
> packages a waste of time?

Sorry, it seems you have no understanding of Debian Edu's development
process at all and thus misunderstood me completely.

A few simple facts:
- the debian-edu-* packages are built from the SVN on alioth
- CD/DVD images are built from those packages, other files also from
that SVN and the Debian archive
- by working there I didn't mean copy all your packages there, I meant
to put your implementations there that pull in the cipux packages from
Debian and set them up correctly

The last point has nothing to do with CipUX upstream development or
packaging, those things are fine and can keep going the way they do.

>>> So, again, what is "integrating CipUX in Skolelinux" other than deciding
>>> that existing installable packages are accepted and possibly modified in
>>> their initial setup so that they fit in? How can we do this? Not only
>>> for CipUX but also for italc and linbo (which are independent of CipUX)?
>>
>> => SVN on alioth
>
> Sorry, I don't think you can demand from all Free Software projects to
> exclusively work on the Debia-Edu SVN in order to get recognized at all.

That's not what I said. I said the SVN is where Debian Edu is made, the
point for _integrating_ additional software.

I don't see how you could understand me that wrong. Following your
assumption, Debian Edu would need to have a copy of the complete Debian
Archive in that SVN repository.

Jürgen already pointed you to
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Contribute/Development

Although that page could use some polishing, it is still mostly correct.

And as a last reminder: this thread was and is only about "the future
LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu" and thus CipUX. The other additional
features of Skolelinux-RLP don't belong here.

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F