Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

Hello Jürgen,

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:33:45PM +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:
> On Sunday 24 October 2010 21:55 Philipp Huebner wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Which makes me wonder why the people using it in Rheinland-Pfalz
> > > are not doing this. Or why you dont do it. Care to explain?
> >
> > IMHO this is a very good question which I would also love to see
> > answered.
> >

> > Regards,
>
> +1
>
> ... and me would also like to hear a statement / answer  from the
> project leader of the RLP project to the question above to get it
> answered from the officials.

I'm not sure whether I qualify as "official", but from my point of view
as coordinator of developers for Skolelinux-RLP, all of our previous
attempts of working together with the Skolelinux community, trying to
integrate new features and options/requirements that are necessary by
(german) law for german schools, have been turned down as being "not
very interesting for mainstream Skolelinux" (exam mode) or "violating
the policy" (italc), which is kind of frustrating, as you can imagine.

Besides administration of classes, this mainly concerns examination
modes and requirements for privacy and teacher supervision of desktops,
disk quotas and x2go as replacement for ltsp.

Before I get too much into details which you probably don't intended to
hear, would you please define for me the part "not doing this" in the
quote you voted +1 for:

   "Which makes me wonder why the people using it in Rheinland-Pfalz are
   not doing this."

What is "this"? What does it mean? What else can we do to help getting
our extensions into Skolelinux, besides providing a proof-of-concept of
our addons working in schools, in real life?

> Greetings, Jürgen

Greets
-Klaus