Re: Please suggest minimal LDAP admin GUI

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 02:40:17PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:29:09PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>> [Jonas Smedegaard]
>>> Please someone propose what a simple LDAP admin GUI could contain.
>>
>> I am not sure, but suspect the feature set of lwat is a good list.
>> Anyone got a complete list for what lwat could do?  I know it could
>>
>> - create users usable on unix and windows
>>   - generate passwords
>>   - single user or from a list (CSV?)
>> - change user info (names, home directories, passwords)
>> - allow users to change their own passwords
>> - create file groups
>> - maintain file groups (move users in and out of groups)
>> - update DNS and DHCP information for a computer in LDAP
>> - create computer netgroups and maintain them (move computers in and
>>   out of groups)
>> - maintain automount maps in LDAP
>>
>> Anything more?
>
> Please, others, throw in your comments on this!

Here are just my 2 cents:

I do not believe that it is a good idea to invent the wheel (lwat)
new in a way we already had.

>> The most important was not the feature set, but the simplicity of the
>> GUI, thought.

This was in the case of lwat more a pain than help for me.

> I believe I understood that from your original post.  Thing is, CipUX
> offers an XML-RPC interface, and I am considering writing a desktop
> application (i.e. not a web app!) and it would then help tremendously to
> know which features was most urgently needed to implement.

For me that is a kind of wasted time, because I cannot see any need
for our project this time in such an application. What I see is and
please correct me if I'm wrong, that there has been done a lot of
work by Andreas to get gosa in place for usage. Why not helping him
to get a working solution. Or in your special case, why not make
cipux alternativly usable like gosa for our project, to have a
choise while installing, which of them one want to use.

> Technically, I will most likely code this in Perl as that is what I am
> capable of and find trustworthy.  Currently I am considering to use
> either Gtk2::Ex::FormFactory or Wx::Perl::Dialog, and use an MVC code
> structure which can hopefully later be extened to a refactoring of the
> existing web interface CipUX::CAT::Web.
>
> Comments welcome, of course :-)
>

>> Happy hacking,
>
> Thanks :-)