Re: Please suggest minimal LDAP admin GUI

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:29:09PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Jonas Smedegaard]
Please someone propose what a simple LDAP admin GUI could contain.

I am not sure, but suspect the feature set of lwat is a good list.
Anyone got a complete list for what lwat could do?  I know it could

- create users usable on unix and windows
  - generate passwords
  - single user or from a list (CSV?)
- change user info (names, home directories, passwords)
- allow users to change their own passwords
- create file groups
- maintain file groups (move users in and out of groups)
- update DNS and DHCP information for a computer in LDAP
- create computer netgroups and maintain them (move computers in and
  out of groups)
- maintain automount maps in LDAP

Anything more?

Please, others, throw in your comments on this!

The most important was not the feature set, but the simplicity of the
GUI, thought.

I believe I understood that from your original post. Thing is, CipUX offers an XML-RPC interface, and I am considering writing a desktop application (i.e. not a web app!) and it would then help tremendously to know which features was most urgently needed to implement.

Technically, I will most likely code this in Perl as that is what I am capable of and find trustworthy. Currently I am considering to use either Gtk2::Ex::FormFactory or Wx::Perl::Dialog, and use an MVC code structure which can hopefully later be extened to a refactoring of the existing web interface CipUX::CAT::Web.

Comments welcome, of course :-)

Happy hacking,

Thanks :-)

 - Jonas