Re: need dhcpd.conf file

Hi Tim,

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 09:13:51PM -0700, tlang80@gmail.com wrote:
> I haven't been able to full test to see if what you said works since I
> installed over the lenny workstation I had going before I got your email,
> but I should be able to when I get back to work this week.  Now I've added
> some windows machines and have noticed that I can log-on to tjener (domain
> is set to skolelinux) and I don't have to setup static IP addresses or samba
> hosts.  Is this correct?

you used the Windows dialog to join a domain to “add” the Windows host?

I think Samba will add missing LDAP entries if a non-existing Windows
hosts tries to join the domain. This might not be optimal, as you don't
get DHCP and DNS config LDAP entries this way.

> I thought I had to preauthorize each windows clients with a mac address, but
> it looks like any windows machine, as long as it's domain is skolelinux,
> will connect and users can have roaming profiles and read their home
> directory perfectly fine.

After joining the domain this should be possible. Windows authenticates
to the Samba daemon and if Samba finds a Host user for the Windows
machine it should be happy (only uses the host name provided by the
Windows machine, not the IP or MAC address).

> This works for me, but is there a reason I should also add samba hosts?
> Seems to work perfect without even adding static samba hosts.

Well, if you later want to have a more static DHCP based IP
configuration, want to use DNS to address the Systems or want to install
a Debian Edu/Skolelinux workstation on the same system you need to have