Re: tuxpaint png sharing server

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Chris Fanning
<christopher.fanning@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My kid's school sets up evenings for a couple of weeks every year for
> parents to come in and teach a  subject of their choice. I often think
> is would be nice to do something that gets the kids sharing between
> each other and enjoying seeing their own content copied, modified and
> shared by other students.
>
> I started thinking of tuxpaint and some way to get the kids drawing,
> saving and then open others kids drawings and then working on them,
> etc. From a teachers point of view I imagine there would be many ways
> to motivate (or mechanise through game rules) the group to achieve
> these goals.
>
> But from the technical side I see is one difficulty.
> Each client could have it's .tuxpaint/saved mounted, but when I start
> to think about it more closely, I don't know what to use as a document
> (.png) server.
>
> If two kids open the same png, then the last child to save the art
> will overwrite previously saved copies. Both Samba and NFS behave like
> this right?
> What I think is needed is a server that never overwrites files.
> When a child opens a png the server should 1, retain the original copy
> and 2, create a new file when the student saves.
> If for example three students open the same png and then all three
> save, there wiil be a total of four png's on the server.
> This way a child's original art is never lost and all versions of all
> modifications are also available for further modification.
>
> Is there something out there that already does this?
> If I were to try and programme this, where should I start? WebDAV?

Hi,

I've got a solution working with Samba, a cgi, an xmlrpc server, and
Zenity, so here goes..
http://gatopelao.org/2009/10/23

-Projects are a way of grouping drawings together under the same theme
or subject.
-Teachers can create and delete projects.
-Teachers can copy, move and delete drawings within the projects.
-All projects are available to all students.
-All students can create new drawings.
-All students can open any drawing and build upon it.
-Students cannot modify or delete drawings.
-Students cannot create or delete projects.

I posted it on the tuxpaint users list too. sorry if you got it twice.

Cheers,
Chris.