Re: debian-edu build process, once more

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 01:21:06PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I though "make dist" always (re)creates debian/control, regardless of the
> timestamp/existance of debian/control and the timestamp of
> debian/control.stub.

Finally it is using make and the debian/rules file says:

  get-orig-source: $(BLEND)-tasks.desc debian/control

The rationale behind this is that building these files takes some time
(depending from your bandwidth) so it might make sense to skip this if
you for instance just fixed a typo in the changelog and want to create
the source tarball afterwards.

> If it doesnt, I consider this a bug. Shall I file one? ;)

You should file one if you are facing the problem on your side.  Perhaps
something on my side was just broken - with the last checkout everything
works as expected.  It might be that my SVN checkout today morning was
just broken which might have confused make.

> When would one _not_ want debian/control to be recreated when running "make
> dist"?? I cannot imagine such a situation...

See above.  Or changing something in menus,
debian/education-menus.install, pixmaps, whatever.  When you are developing
and testing perhaps behind a slow connection it makes sense to recreate
debian/control and tasks.ctl only if needed.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de