Re: Lenny installation in text mode issues.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 04:33:29AM +0200, skilinux@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Nicholas,
> Thanks for stepping in.
> I'm not sure you're on the list so you get your own personal copy.

Thanks, I'm not in the list.

> Nicolas François: Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:02 AM
> >
> > I think I'm missing some context here.
> 	It's a rather loose context. I played around with the templates and brought up everything that puzzled me.
> I wrote a little AWK script to workaround this - and though I became quite fond of it - a straight fix will beat a workaround any time.
>
> > I can provide a patch for the two issues:
> > 1] There are three lines between the long description and the short
> >    description.
> >    (This is just removing the "strcat(res, "\n\n");" in
> >    src/modules/frontend/newt/newt.c)
> ??	Is it there for a reason? I noticed the same symptom in gtk.

So yes, I noticed that there is a reason, and all frontend use it
The removal would be wrong.

I could find a problem in debconf-loadtemplate, which makes
remove_newlines add a newline instead of removing the last one.

This patch looks better, I will propose it to cdebconf on the BTS.

> > 2] The mulitselect may be displayed below the <Continue> button (or
> >    description, which render the selection impossible.
> >    (This is just changing need_separate_window() to compare height-7
> >    (height-9 if the above is not applied) instead of height-5)

I also updated this part of the patch, and will report it tomorrow.

> > However, I'm not sure it is the bug reported by Oded.
> 	This is spot on.
>
> > Is there a problem with Asian fonts? (a wide caracters, like
> > ?, is as wide as two ascii characters on a terminal). If the
> > character width is not taken into account when rewrapping,
> > the lines may need to be rewrapped later, which may add more
> > lines and could cause the same issue as 2] above.
> 	I really don't know, can't read it. I only asked for the script so I don't botch one thing while plastering the other.
>
> > Oded, can you point me to the package/template/language which
> > triggers the issue (a screenshot would be welcome).
> 	I use English, Petters screenshots are excellent It's obvious you looked at them, there:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;filename=d-i-edu-english-profile-expert.png;att=2;bug=508042

Great!
We are talking about the same bug;)

> > (Or maybe the above two points would be sufficient)
> 	Well, these are exquisite! the only thing is: will it be in Lenny?
> The only reason I started with this is-
> Quote:
> 23:18 < pere> bubulle otavio: any hope of having #508042 fixed in d-i rc2?
> 23:20 < pere> the debian-edu profile question is badly affected by the bad formatting of cdebconf.
> 23:27 < otavio> pere: i doubt it will be fixed for rc2.
> 23:27 < otavio> bubulle: hello
> 23:29 < pere> otavio: :(  Any ideas on how to work around it in debian-edu-install?
> Unquote.
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=508042#10)
>
> Now, we can get a workaround in debian-edu-lenny but we can't let it out as it is, nor can we get changes in d-i, can we?

This need a change in cdebconf.
The change would have to be allowed by the release team to enter Lenny.
After, a new Debian-Installer will be needed if this bug appear during
installation.

I'm neither in the release team nor in the d-i team (and I don't even know
if debian-edu is using the Debian installer or a slightly different that
would allow changing cdebconf), but I don't think this can occur in a short
time frame.

If no code changes are possible in Lenny or D-I, you can check the following
workarounds:

====8<=============================================================
 Profiles determine how the machine can be used out-of-the-box:
 .
  - Main-Server: ...
  [...]
  - Standalone: ...
 <insert here a small sentence>
====8<=============================================================

<insert here a small sentence> could be "XXX is the recommended value"

If no string would be useful here, then you can try to remove the bullets,
and reorder the list so that the last item fits on one line:

====8<=============================================================
 Profiles determine how the machine can be used out-of-the-box:
 .
 Main-Server: reserved for the Debian Edu server. It does not
              include any GUI (Graphical User Interface). There
              should only be one such server on a Debian Edu
              network.
 Standalone:  for machines meant to be used outside the Debian Edu
              network. It includes a GUI and conflicts with other
              profiles.
 Thin-Client-Server:
              includes 'Workstation' and requires two network
              cards.
 Workstation: for normal machines on the Debian Edu network.

By chance, I could also sort by alphabetical order. But I may have lost the
order of preference. And the Choices list need to be re-ordered.

All those solutions require work from translators (or somebody careful to
reorder the bullets in the PO files).

Best Regards,
--
Nekral