Re: Best way to install Java JAR files (java packaging)

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 04:21:57PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2008, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
>
>> And: Yes, I have been using the RFP protocol - but am not tracking its
>> progress actively. I suppose I will get notified in case of replies.

Great.  That was my first recommendation.

Next recommendation was to then mention bug number when sharing your
wishlist with others.  You already did the valuable task of filing (or
locating) RFPs for that software you are talking about - so no need for
all active readers on this list to repeat that step ;-)

> IMHO RFP tends to be unsuccessful in most cases.  DDs are these days
> busy to work out their won ITPs and regard RFP as quite low priority.
> So I use the chance to repeat my advertising of mentioning potentially
> interesting software as prospective package of our CDD in the tasks
> files.  I just added geonext (the second ouf your project names - you
> forgot the links BTW), because I just added geogebra in former times.

I agree that RFPs alone seldom is enough these days.  But it is the
entry point for official Debian packaging, and something that requires
other (simpler, I dare say) skills than those of actual packaging.

> relevant information like
>
>   Homepage:
>   License:
>   Pkg-Description:
>
> and perhaps
>
>   WNPP:
>   Pkg-URL:

Yes, please add WNPP bug number to your list!

I do aknowledge that WNPP field should not be mandatory: we _are_
interested also in tracking stuff unsuitable for RFPs, eg. not-yet-free
stuff.

> I don't know about Gambas, but I prefer solid manual packaging over
> automatic means.  Just try to keep on gathering interesting projects
> and than chery pick the best ones on a developer gathering for
> packaging or something like this.

Fully agree!

  - Jonas

- --