Best way to install Java JAR files (java packaging)

Dear list,

nowadays there are dozens of free java applications that are valuable
for education. Some of those are even quoted in standard school books:

geonext [1]
geogebra [2]

to name two from the mathematical branch. Then we have JFractionLab [3]
(better than kbruch), and for "Informatique" we use BlueJ [4], JavaKara
[5] and Jrpologedit [6] (those are non-GPL).

Unless there is a general install routine (which takes care of
classpaths etc.) the common way of installation is:

 A. Create an application directory - say /usr/local/lib/bluej
 B. Move the JAR file and other stuff needed into this folder;
 C. Create an executable shell script to start the application, say:
    /usr/bin/java -jar /usr/local/lib/bluej/bluej22.jar
 D. Create a shortcut for the Desktop-Menu (assign Icon symbol).
   (This step is the most challanging and time consuming to me)

I feel that (especially for GPLed JAR files) these steps should be made
easier. As far as I know you will need the source files in order to
create propper Debian packages. But there are also more
technical/assisting install-packages (e.g. googleearth-package) that
only take the binary (JAR file here) from the web and generate a DEB
installation wrapper.

Any suggestions here?

How can we support teachers/admins who like to have an easy way to
rollout free educational jar files? A mere wrapper/shell script could
work - but: I prefer having installed packeges being reported to
popularity-contest.

Thanks for any hints,
regards
Ralf