Re: (N)X2Go - LowBandwith sessions for takeaway incl. sound

Hello Maximiliano,

we are running a repository at deb http://x2go.obviously-nice.de/deb/ testing main. The stored packages are usable with etch and lenny, the client package also for ubuntu. The packages are build on and with debian lenny (amd64, i386, ppc). The embedded parts of the xorg sources of the nx libraries are still untouched from the nomachine nx original code. If anybody thinks about the modularity of those libraries, he might also have the idea of an possible xorg integration - which would be "the right place" for many people.
But this task is a lot of work, which would depend on many, many descissions of many people which will lead to a project that will be usable in some years (in my eyes).
As you mentioned before that NX is a feature/protocoll mixture, only the x compression should be integrated/modified for xorg integration. If you - or a linux novice - would like to use all features (sound, mass-storage mounting, printing, fs-export, screen-sharing, authentification,...), you also will have to use a "collection of tools", to get a system running smoothly and secure.
So - yes we could help to modularize those libs, but the price would be, that this would be a fork to the nomachine sources and would demand a community for patching and further development.
So I would suggest a new thread "modularizing NX libraries for xorg" or something, to get a response of people searching for such an solution and developers (maybe nomachine too?) helping to achive it. We would be interested in this topic too.

Greetings,

Heinz

2008/3/6, Maximiliano Curia <maxy@gnuservers.com.ar>:
Hola Heinz-M. Graesing!

El 03/03/2008 a las 07:04 escribiste:
> x2go != NX

Agreed.

> yes, x2go uses nxcomp, nxproxy and nxagent (modified -> x2goagent), so there is
> an (small) amount of X-Code in the nx libraries. It is needed for the protocol,
> and we have no idea how to solve the problem without this code. If there are
> any suggestions, feel free to contact us.

It would be nice have nxcomp, nxproxy and nxagent as distribution packages (for
Debian and others). For this to happen, they need to compile against the
current xorg libraries in the Debian archive, they should not include source
from other projects, and try to be "sane" (for some values of "saneness").

As I see it, x2go developers have tamed most of nx, is there any chance you
could try to work on this area?

--
"recursividad 95, 154, 156, 201, 224, 293"
        -- El Lenguaje de Programacion C, pag. 293 (Kernighan & Ritchie)