Re: (N)X2Go - LowBandwith sessions for takeaway incl. sound

Holla Maximiliano,

x2go != NX

x2go is incompatible to nx because of the support of linux native authentification methods and the used protocol for clientside filesystem mounting (SSHFS/Fuse). I mentioned SAMBA only, because you may use the x2go administration modules for samba/ldap administration. If you don't want to use clientside filesystem mounting, there is even no dependency on SSHFS. For the minimal configuration you don't need a LDAP server either. All administration can be done by commandline applications. There is even a commandline client - so x2go session can be integrated into other applications or interfaces. x2go won't change ldap directories, x2go don't need any unknown scheme or modifications (just posix accounts and samba, if you wan't to use it). The difference - at the moment - of the x2go LDAP settings in comparison to the debian defaults is the SSL encryption. We can use a LDAP server without encryptions so, it is possible to use the debian default.
The screenshots on our site are showing the qt4 client - but there will be a gtk client too (soon). All applications are free (gpl). It was our idea to produce a open, sizeable and low bandwith capable thin client solution.

yes, x2go uses nxcomp, nxproxy and nxagent (modified -> x2goagent), so there is an (small) amount of X-Code in the nx libraries. It is needed for the protocol, and we have no idea how to solve the problem without this code. If there are any suggestions, feel free to contact us.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Greetings (
Muchas Gracias por tu carta y tu correo electronico.),

Heinz-M. Graesing

2008/3/1, Maximiliano Curia <maxy@gnuservers.com.ar>:
Hola Heinz-M. Graesing!

El 28/02/2008 a las 17:07 escribiste:

> This is an update of the running discussion about a possible
> integration of x2go in skolelinux.

The main problem with NX is that its sources include the whole XFree86,
ssh, and samba sources, with some changes to fill their needs.
How does x2go manage those issues?

As I see it, x2go is too dependent of a particular configuration, which
makes it very difficult to implement in other environments. I would like
to use the low bandwith X connection without the need to redo my ldap
directories, or have KDE running in my server, and of course I don't
want to have any bloat in the clients.

Will x2go be modular enough to support this use case?

--
Maximiliano Curia
Área de Sistemas