Re: stable update proposal: flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

Petter Reinholdtsen skrev:
> [Finn-Arne Johansen]
>> Has this plugin been tested on a large scale basis ?
>
> It is the same plugin available as libflashsupport from other sites,
> and is claimed to be working for large sites.  I agree that it would
> be good to have this confirmed.
>
>> I suggest not to include this in the stable repository until it's
>> been tested in a large scale, to prevent sites depending on a
>> working solution from beeing set back by installing this.
>
> Any volunteers to test it on a large scale?

Until anyone volunteer, I suggest the upload is put on hold.

What about testing this in Narvik next weekend ?

>> I also suggest that one _don't_ announce that this fixes sound on
>> thin clients like one did with debian-edu 3.0, before it's actually
>> tested to see if it work.
>
> It is a good idea to verify that it actually work before announcing
> it.  Not sure what you refer to with sound and 3.0, but can report
> that Bjarne in Skolelinux Drift AS got it working for him.  I welcome
> more test reports, also on a large scale.

Well, it's not a problem to get sound working, but to have it usable is
another thing. It might be funny to notice that you get sound, but when
all you get is the sound you get when you log into kde, but not from the
applications that the teachers expect sound from (eg. flash), or that
sound is completely unusable, then announcing that you have sound from
thin client is kind of false marketing. Debian-edu should not do false
marketing.
I will not allow my people to do false marketing.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/