Re: stable update proposal: flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

Hi,

On Sunday 27 January 2008 12:43, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> > Any volunteers to test it on a large scale?
> Until anyone volunteer, I suggest the upload is put on hold.

I guess you mean s/upload/stable update request/ -
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound currently is in etch-test only.

I wonder two things:

Is flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound automatically installed as default atm?

Will flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound automatically be installed on upgrades?

I guess the answer to both questions is "no", so I don't consider moving it to
etch to be too risky. And not only if the answer to the first question
is "yes", I wonder if flashplugin-nonfree is installable automatically at all
atm and if thats done in the default install.

And last but not least, it should be clear, that we off-grounds in respect to
Debian policy about this - "packages in main must not recommend or depend on
stuff outside main". This means we disqualify ourself from being a CDD. OTOH
we create a new type of CDD: nonfree-CDD ;-)
IMO installing flash-nonfree should be an installation option and default
to "no". But I guess it's too late for this for etch and hope it's not needed
for lenny...

> What about testing this in Narvik next weekend ?

I very much suggest so, also with pulseaudio.

> I will not allow my people to do false marketing.

Problem is , we are a volunteer project and you cant really force people to do
or not to do things. That is good and sometimes bad. [I'm not going into what
I'm thinking about here. You probably guess what I mean anyway.]

Said that, I think we only should announce this as working when sound works in
kde, flash, java, whatelse?, on thin-clients and on (diskless) workstations -
and remark _if_ it doesnt work in some configuration.

I also think we agree on this :-)

http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/Features

regards,
	Holger