Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

[Halvor Dahl]
> It is incredible that the Debian and Mozilla people couldn't agree
> on this, and I can really understand people ridiculing the iceweasel
> name and the never-ending quarreling between all the small fractions
> in the open source community.  If Debian is so hard-necked about
> everything we will eventually be stuck with applications that nobody
> has heard about and nobody else is using.

You seem to keep claiming that it was Debian fault that the name had
to be changed, while in reality it was the Firefox Foundation forcing
Debian to change it to be able to do debian job of maintaining the
package.  The terms forced on Debian by the Firefox Foundation is
equally unacceptable for Debian Edu, so it does not really help that
we can make a different choice than Debian regarding firefox, when the
option we want and need is unavailable.

> It will be a pretty hard job convincing schools that they should
> prefer iceweasel or Konqueror to Firefox and Internet Explorer and
> Koffice to MS Office and OpenOffice.org.

Yes, this is a serious maketing issue.  Luckily iceweasel is still
available as the 'firefox' binary.

Friendly,