Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

I have regular battles with parents, where I have to justify our use of
free software. I work at quite an expensive school where many of our
parents work with MS products every day, and believe their kids should
too.
Firefox, however, is one app I usually don't have to defend. I am afraid
that will change if kids start going home saying they use iceweasel now. I
can just see parents cursing the crack-pot teacher who stops their kids
using 'real' software and who is now saying that even firefox isn't free
enough. Is it too late to rename iceweasel to something sensible?

I say leave it off the CD and I will install firefox from mozilla.

As for the Gimp, I regularly have 15 or more students using it on my
Athlon 64 single CPU server. I just make them set the tile cache really
low (48 or even 32). I use the Gimp with grades 5 and above. I've had many
kids say their parents installed it for them at home.
However, its just an apt-get away, so it doesn't matter as much as firefox.

nigel