Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

On Friday 02 March 2007, Halvor Dahl wrote:
> I agree.  There is no need wasting space for iceweasel on the first CD
> because people will probably install Firefox from Mozilla anyway.

that's like saying you won't use generic drugs only the brand name
equivalents. Even though the only difference (often up to and including
where they are manufactered) is the box they're wrapped in.

> It will be a pretty hard job convincing schools that they should prefer
> iceweasel or Konqueror to Firefox and Internet Explorer and Koffice to
> MS Office and OpenOffice.org.

In my experience most end users don't have the slightest clue what programs
their running, and don't give a them as long as it does the job
(e.g. when asking most users what browser they're using, the typical answer
is "I'm using the internet")

> The Debian camp could really need a basic course in commercial thinking
> when they believe they can afford to lose a brand name like Firefox.  Not
> much use for the strict principles when all the users are gone.

Debian really didn't have any choice in this case, Mozilla didn't grant us
the right to use the firefox name, and won't unless we give up the right to
fix things when they break. Since that's one of the core principles layed
out in the foundation documents of Debian (such as the debian free software
guidelines), there's nothing we can do about it.

> Maybe we should just give up the "out-of-the-box" idea and make
> Skolelinux just a very small core of services and supply a list of nice
> applications and how to install them.

And maybe, whe should give up on skolelinux all to gether, and just use MS
all the way, afterall that's what the typical parent is using at work,
right?
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)