Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

Knut Yrvin wrote:
> On Tuesday 27. February 2007, Halvor Dahl wrote:
>> Firefox and OpenOffice.org are by far the two best brand names ever
>> produced by the open source community
>
> According to Wikipedia:
>
>   In February of 2006, Mike Connor, representing the Mozilla Foundation,
>   wrote to Debian and informed them that Mozilla did not consider the
>   way in which Debian was using the Firefox name to be acceptable.
>   Debian's previous agreement which allowed them to use the Firefox name
>   was no longer valid. Further messages from Mike Connor clarified
>   Mozilla's current policies: "Yes,if you are shipping a browser
>   called Firefox, we should be signing off on every deviation from
>   what we ship."; and "If you are going to use the Firefox name, you
>   must also use the rest of the branding." But Debian could not use
>   the logo because of the Debian Free Software Guidelines
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IceWeasel
>
> There is an opening.
>
> The unbranded Firefox logo can be used. Look to the left at the wikipedia page
> explaining the issues.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IceWeasel

You do understand that if you consider using the Firefox name in Debian-Edu
that you have to ask Mozilla if all changes are OK and that this means if you
do it properly quite some changes to the Debian version? It's not like Mozilla
took care that you only have to change the name in one location, but all over
the place...

Cheers

Luk

--
Luk Claes - http://people.debian.org/~luk - GPG key 1024D/9B7C328D
Fingerprint:   D5AF 25FB 316B 53BB 08E7   F999 E544 DE07 9B7C 328D