Re: how to commit (was: Re: start to translate the release-manual - problems with the description in README.release-manual-translations)

Am Samstag, 29. Dezember 2007 schrieb Ludger Sicking:
> Hi Jürgen, hi *,
>
> Jürgen Leibner wrote:
> >> When I translated a little bit how can I commit. Send the po-file
> >> to this list? I got an alioth-account. Therefore I can commit in
> >> another way?
> >
> > If you have an alioth account already, why not use it?
>
> Ok, at this point I should have be more precise.
> I don't know how to commit with my alioth-account.
> Where's the howto? Could you point me to an URL?

If you had read the files I pointed you in the last mail, you would
know ;-)

So here in short, taken from the file in svn:
documentation/release-manual/README

<snippet>
How to update the translations
------------------------------

Update the translations every time before you start translating some new
strings:

$ svn up					# update from svn, maybe someone else
						# translated something
$ ./update_translations		# updates the original from the wiki
						# and merge it with the existing translation
$ vi release-manual.fr.po		# again, better use kbabel
$ svn ci release-manual.fr.po	# commit your changes

Translating notes
-----------------
Don't translate FIXMEs, that's unfinished text and needs fixing.

Don't translate tags.

In the string "<phrase>attachment:network-arch.png </phrase>" also don't
translate "attachment".

Don't translate URLs - be careful: some wiki-URLs might be harder to
notice
they are URLs.

To "translate" images, add them to SVN into the images/$CC/ directory,
where
$CC is your language. They will be picked up automatically.

If you spot errors in the english version or see how it could be
improve,
please do contribute to the english version too. Just edit the wiki at
http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/ - an user
account
is needed to edit these pages, so you will probably need to create a
wiki
user first (via the login link).

If you cannot commit your work to svn directly, please send the .po file
debian-edu-doc@packages.qa.debian.org
</snippet>

And it may be a good task to read the svn-book at:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Greetings, Jürgen Leibner