Re: using ldap as backend for dns and dhcp

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
El lun, 24-12-2007 a las 02:13 +0100, Daniel Hess escribió:
¡Hola!,

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 09:50:24PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
Not, what I said is that I had already being using dnsmasq to server
images throuth pxe. I haven't tested the link to ldap. dnsmasq is
theorically able to do it, and it's well docummented in the dnsmasq
config file
(http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq.conf.example )
they describe how to configure LDAP srv records, but that is not
generating DNS records out of data stored in an ldap tree.

Srv records are a (new) construct to use DNS to delegate the different
services (such as http, ldap, xmpp) of a domain (or any other DNS name)
to different systems. With this you can have smtp, xmpp and ldap for a
domain like example.org running on different systems.

Greping the source does too not indicate, that they are implementing
LDAP client things.

Then, it seems we only have two options left:
a) a cron script generating dhcpd & dns config files from the ldap
database and reloading those services at regular intervals.
b) http://www.lunytune.net/isc-ldap.html that requires patching dhcpd.

Option a) doesn't look too ellegant and has limitations, but option b)
would require convincing and demonstrate it has no secondary effects to
current dhcp3-server maintainers.

More ideas?
option c) Other implementations.

for dns there are other implementations with real backend ldap support in debian, eg powerdns and ldapdns one can also use ldap2dnsd, as an alternative to cron. ldap2dnsd is a daemon monitoring ldap and generating bind files when serials change. This would reduce the "dns don't work becouse i am to impatient to wait for the cronjob error reports"