Re: using ldap as backend for dns and dhcp

El dom, 23-12-2007 a las 13:51 +0100, Finn-Arne Johansen escribió:
> It has been a goal to use ldap for as much as possible in debian-edu,
> And when we created lwat, we started to prepare to build dhcpd.conf and
> some config files for bind using ldap.
> The goal was to have a cronjob checking for changes, and if anything
> new, build new config-files for dhcp and bind, then restart them.
>
> The other day itais and sep (and maybe others) was discussing (on irc)
> if it was possible to setup dnsmasq to lookup dns/dhcp information from
> the ldapserver directly. If I understood "itais", he already had this
> working, but I cant find any pointer on how to do it. Not sure if I
> understood him correctly, but if there are any pointers to related
> documentation, then I would be glad to see it.

Not, what I said is that I had already being using dnsmasq to server
images throuth pxe. I haven't tested the link to ldap. dnsmasq is
theorically able to do it, and it's well docummented in the dnsmasq
config file
(http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq.conf.example )

After christmas I have plans to test it (among another hundred of
things :-( ). Using dnsmasq had a problem for some people at irc: it
seemed it was able to use only one image with pxe, but nobody was sure
of that. Sep reminded he uses different pxe images depending on the mac
of the computer, but, as he said, if it's connected to ldap, that info
should be got from the ldap server.

Another point of discussion was whether the dhcp & dns service should
always use the ldap connection or, instead of it,  generating a config
file from the ldap info at a time interval and reloading the service
would be safer.

My experience with dnsmasq in the last four years is that's very stable,
you have dns & dhcp in one service, and his config file is very easy to
be changed and managed, in opposition to dhcpd & bind, where you can
very easily make a typo with some comma, space or similar...

Regards
José L.