Re: using ldap as backend for dns and dhcp

El lun, 24-12-2007 a las 02:13 +0100, Daniel Hess escribió:
> ¡Hola!,
>
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 09:50:24PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> > Not, what I said is that I had already being using dnsmasq to server
> > images throuth pxe. I haven't tested the link to ldap. dnsmasq is
> > theorically able to do it, and it's well docummented in the dnsmasq
> > config file
> > (http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq.conf.example )
>
> they describe how to configure LDAP srv records, but that is not
> generating DNS records out of data stored in an ldap tree.
>
> Srv records are a (new) construct to use DNS to delegate the different
> services (such as http, ldap, xmpp) of a domain (or any other DNS name)
> to different systems. With this you can have smtp, xmpp and ldap for a
> domain like example.org running on different systems.
>
> Greping the source does too not indicate, that they are implementing
> LDAP client things.

Then, it seems we only have two options left:
a) a cron script generating dhcpd & dns config files from the ldap
database and reloading those services at regular intervals.
b) http://www.lunytune.net/isc-ldap.html that requires patching dhcpd.

Option a) doesn't look too ellegant and has limitations, but option b)
would require convincing and demonstrate it has no secondary effects to
current dhcp3-server maintainers.

More ideas?