Re: New gen-control for Debian-Edu

[Andreas Tille]
> This would be nice.

Done.  Will take effect in a few hours.

> In the CDD context this currently is not yet implemented at all -
> but this should be changed because there is obviousely at least
> one CDD that makes heavy use of it. :)

Yes. :)

We switched to a tasksel based installation because it will not fail
if one of the packages are missing, and it has the concept of core
packages and support packages (which we are not yet using, but we
might one day).  Also, it mean that our tasks show up in tasksel if
the user want to install that way.

> Ahhh, but this is builded from a different source package.  I would
> not really mind to change the name from <CDD>-common to <CDD>-config
> to make the usage unique and adding <CDD>-tasks seems to be a
> reasonable thing anyway.  But what is the rationale behind using a
> different source package?

The historical reasons were that these packages should be updated with
different frequencies, and the config package is particularly hard to
upgrade so it would be best to upgrade the easy parts without
affecting the hard package.  In time, as we moved towards preseeding
and away from editing a lot of files, it has become easier and easier
to upgrade debian-edu-config, so the argument is less strong today.
But there are still files in the -config package that we should not
change and expect upgrades to work. :)

Happy hacking,