Re: SV: [i18n-sme]Re: Did you drop Nothern Saami from the language choice list in d-i?

Quoting Svein Lund (sveilund@online.no):
> Please keep the Saami language!
> The Saami languages have been oppressed for many years in all the four countries where they are spoken, and much of this oppression still remains. In age of computers there has been a long and hard struggle to make it possible to use the language in different computer programs and systems, not to mention to get programs with menues in Saami language. Especially has Microsoft been negative and it has been a great encouragement to see that Linux has made it possible to get programs in Sami language.
> I have followed the work for translations from the beginning, and I know that there is done a lot of good work. But unfortunately computer programs change so fast, that it is impossible for a small language to  keep updated all the time.
> It would be very pityful if all the good work should get lost at once there is a new release for which we don't manage to update the Saami version.
> The Northern Saami language is spoken in Norway, Sweden and Finland. In the two first countries all or almost all Northern Saami speaking computer users also will understand Norwegian as fallback, but not in Finland. The alternative would be English as fallback, which may be also would be easier as the translations to Northern Saami are done from English. Anyhow, A Saami version with parts of menues in Norwegian or English is much better than nothing. And so I hope that we soon will be able to organize more translations.

Based on the various arguments for it, the Northern Sami entry has
been re-added yesterday to the localechooser package.

As the se translations have been removed from D-I packages when
de-activating the language, D-I will unfortunately not be translated
in Northern Sami. People will just have the choice of the
language...then the install will run in Norwegian Bokmål. At this
moment of the release of D-I, it is not possible to re-inject the
translations.

What I plan is reactivating them for the next (and probably final)
release of D-I, because there is a very good fallback with Norwegian
(OK, not perfect as you have explained).

What I would suggest to Sami translators is to focus on the strings,
on the master PO file, that belong to the packages I list at the end
of this mail. For Sami, that means fixing about 200 strings "only". Of
course, getting the whole se.po file completed would even be
better. The stats are currently:

935 translated messages, 25 fuzzy translations, 573 untranslated messages

# General d-i stuff
main-menu
debian-installer-utils
anna