Re: Name of next release (was: Release Status, and IRC meeting reminder)

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:16:34 +0100
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Jonas Smedegaard]
> > Some may even be upset about the name Debian (which is a trademark)
> > used for something including SUN Java.

> Well, some might even be upset by the printing of caricatures.  I'm
> quite sure we should not be guided by what migth upset people, but
> what is sensible, just and correct.

Fine. Then why didn't you quote those other arguments of mine,
instead of emphasizing the insensible, injust and incorrect one. Or
did you perhaps find them equally bad or worse?

> The skolelinux project have a trademark license agreement with SPI,
> and are allowed to use the Debian trademark.

...for something called "Stiftelsen SLX Debian Labs". Nothing else, as
far as I understand it. Or are you talking about something else than
this: http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-announce/2004/000068.html ?

> Using the Debian name with the Debian-Edu/Skolelinux distribution
> should be just fine thanks to this.

Please elaborate.

> SUN Java is one particular annoyance, and for those who do not know
> this, getting a free alternative into Debian is quite high on the
> priority list.

I perfectly agree, which is why I wrote as I did - which you snipped.

> We need to provide a system that solves todays issues in the schools,
> if we want the schools and the pupils in them to discover the
> advantages of free software today.

The "we" above is an example of that slight difference between Debian
and Skolelinux:

 * Debian considers its declared freedoms more important than having a
system that works properly for school use.

That's why Skolelinux includes SUN Java with its current distribution
and Debian does not.

I find *both* important (so please do *not* compare me to those danish
evangelists fighting over muslim caricatures). But also I find it
important to not confuse those "slightly different" priorities.

 - Jonas

- --