Re: Name of next release

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

We need to provide a system that solves todays issues in the schools,
if we want the schools and the pupils in them to discover the
advantages of free software today.

The "we" above is an example of that slight difference between Debian
and Skolelinux:

 * Debian considers its declared freedoms more important than having a
system that works properly for school use.

That's why Skolelinux includes SUN Java with its current distribution
and Debian does not.

I find *both* important (so please do *not* compare me to those danish
evangelists fighting over muslim caricatures). But also I find it
important to not confuse those "slightly different" priorities.

/me too finds both important.

As for the topic i'm aiming at is the naming:

I always thought of "Debian-edu" as the whole project.
...Not only making a CDD, but also helping provide free Java and doing
loads of other stuff like searching for new edu-SW, translating it, etc pp.

Regarding this, in my view "Skolelinux" was/is the [out of the CDD work]
resulting distro; in the sense of more the name for the CD itself than for
the work which produced it, which i see as work of the Debian-edu project.

So we should stick to Skolelinux for now.
I regard the name "Debian-edu the CD" only appropriate to a distro/CDD/CD --
seperately from, but related to, "Debian-edu the project" -- if the provided
solution (as in CDD) is fully DFSG compatible.

So maybe next time, when we can replace SUN Java with a free implementation
and so on, then would be the time to justified speaking of "Debian-edu, the
distro/CD".
On the other hand, maybe then just further stick to "Skolelinux", because of
'historical reasons' ;-) and keeping the well-known brand ;-) ...although i
must admit, that "Debian-edu" [as name] has higher reputation and clearer
distinction of our aim to make /the/ Debian-based solution for schools.

Perhaps its even all the other way around: Skolelinux is more to be seen as
the sorrounding project and Debian-edu is the part making the CD/CDD.

I'm slightly confused now.
What do you think?

Best wishes,
  Patrick