Re: the .org proposal or "join forces"

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:58:44 +0100
Steffen Joeris <Steffen.Joeris@skolelinux.de> wrote:

> > I still have a hard time understanding the difference between
> > skolelinux development and Debian development. I have no interest in
> > building up a parallel to Debian.
> Who talks about that?

This thread:

Consolidating and expanding the organisation around development of
Skolelinux instead of using the already-existing resources of Debian is
building up a parallel to Debian.

> You should know that i agree in getting all stuff back into debian,

So do Ubuntu. And I don't say that as a way of cursing - but as a way
of describing: Ubuntu puts itself ahead of Debian with
regards to development, and wants to pass all of its findings back to
Debian at some point. But the business model is to duplicate Debian in
the process.

If Debian-edu sees itself as within Debian, rather than ahead of or
besides, then use Debian resources whenever possible.

Debian has a website: http://www.debian.org/ . Not a CMS, but static
pages written in Web Meta Language and stored in CVS. This is not the
easiest way to post content, but remember that we are talking about the
_development_ here, *not* the school administrators. One reason to use
this relatively inconvenient system is that it has potential to get
translated into *lots* of different languages, and thus better reach
decision makers globally.

Debian has source maintainance tools: http://alioth.debian.org/ .
We use that already. Great! I just recommend that we avoid maintaining
ordinary packages like italc in that project and concentrate on stuff
directly related to the Debian-edu/Skolelinux infrastructure. Don't get
me wrong - italc shouldn't be dropped, just maintained in a separately
setup project[1], possibly with overlap in developers, but maybe now or
later handed over to others more interested in simple packaging
maintainance than in the larger perspectives of Debian-edu.

Debian has a wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ . Let's use that! Again,
don't confuse globally oriented development coordination and locally
oriented efforts. It makes good sense for Skolelinux in germany to
speak german and have an own wiki to strengthen their sense of
community. But it also makes good sense to move their internationally
oriented pages to somewhere shared among all Debian-edu developers, and
I believe that place is really the Debian wiki - to mingle more with
Debian instead of drifting off.

Debian has a planet: http://planet.debian.org/ . Let's use that. We are
Debian, right? Or what makes us so special that we (developers!) do not
want to hang out with our cousins in other parts of the mother project?

Debian has a bug tracker: http://bts.debian.org/ . Let's use that, and
request one or more pseudo-packages created for Skolelinux
instrastructural meta bugs. What we win is easier integration with
Debian - 'cause our end goal is complete absorbtion into Debian, right?

> but nevertheless we need space for our own stuff (maybe call it
> debian-edu.org). We are at a point where we have special stuff for
> our own.

Our end goal is full and complete absorbtion into Debian, right? So any
and all "special stuff" is something we want to either get rid of or
have Debian adopt, right? So let's work on that rather than work on a
more solid foundation of those non-Debian paths.

> because now I see that your fear becomes true. We are still working
> in local teams

Just to clarify: I find local teams very important. And those should
work however they see fit. But share whatever possible, and the
_development_ part of Debian-edu/Skolelinux in my opinion is best
shared in the context of Debian (when possible), rather on its own.

 - Jonas

[1] I currently maintain 40+ packages for Debian, but is (slooowly)
switching to have them all team-maintained. At first with myself as
sole team member but making it easier to let others in. But I do not
create a giant packages-formerly-maintained-by-Jonas project but
instead smaller ones for related packages (like icecast-related ones
or GD-related ones) or even single packages (like yaird that holds
both Debian packaging using SVN and upstream source using TLA and a
single mailinglist). The main consideration is to group things that
would be intering for same developers to mess directly with.

- --