Re: Custom configuration of network clients

Patrice Neff wrote:
> El 16/11/2005, a las 01:02 PM, Patrice Neff escribió:
>> I would like to configure the hosts in a Skolelinux network  according
>> to our standards. Things I'm thinking about currently:
>>   - sources.list file changes (use Internet or apt-proxy host in  the
>> network)

Well, the default sources list only inlcudes the CD as source, and
others have to be added. So of course you could add anything..

>>   - Installation of Gnome instead of KDE (probably, not decided yet  -
>> but we use Gnome in the current network)

 aptide --without-recommends install education-desktop-gnome

Then you of course would have both kde and gnome on the machine.

>>   - Probably a few customizations of Gnome (or KDE) such as the
>> application menu and putting Firefox as the default browser instead
>> of Konqueror

We had something for customizing the menu of kde2.2, but noone worked on
it for kde3.3+

>> My clients are not thin-clients but workstations.
>> First: is there any way built into Skolelinux to do that kind of
>> configuration automatically at the moment? If yes, can you point me
>> to the documentation - I did not find it.
>
> As there have not been any replies indicating otherwise, I'm assume
> there is not currently anything built into Skolelinux.

There is the education-desktop-gnome, but I'm sorry to say that it's
only usable as an addon. I've tried to exclude education-desktop-kde
from the CD, and to include education-desktop-gnome, but it doesn't get
installed. I guess we need some work on the tasksel package

>> If not, I have a few ideas how one could go about this:
>
> Shortly after my post I finally stumbled over cfengine (Ralf also
> mentioned it in his reply mail). cfengine is already installed and  used
> for the configuration. So my suggestion: include a default  cfservd.conf
> and update.conf on the clients and enable cfservd by  default. This
> would then enable the server to push config files to  the clients and
> could thereby also be used to configure newly  installed clients.

The thought is to have a central cfengine-repository, and distribute
changes from there. Someone planned to work a bit more on it, but they
did not find the time. We should also switch from cfengine to cfengine2.

> What are your thoughts about this idea? If somebody likes it and  would
> put a patch into Skolelinux, I'd happily experiment with this  and
> provide a patch.

Please do. But keep in mind that people may use other techniques today,
so if you include something, it should be disabled by default. And if
you come up with a patch, the only way to make sure it makes it to the
default CD, is to include it on the CD yourself, that means submit it
through svn, test it, then set proper default.

If the rest of the project doesn't like your solution, then they will
tell, and if they really dont like it, your solution will be removed
after you've submitted to svn. That's "do-ocracy".

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/