Re: well-configured servers out of the box

tirsdag 12. juli 2005, 12:42, skrev Geert Stappers:

> Debian-edu is too much frozen in a single CD image concept.

No, it's not. You can download all the images :-)

ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/cd-woody/

But if you are at a school in Africa with no broadband, or an other
country that has limited bandwidth, it's a huge issue to decrease the
amount of software that the schools need to download, and the ease to
copy CDs when It's downloaded, that can take 7-8 days.

I've often get e-mails from people around the world that really
appreciate the ease of use when you can do everything with one
CD. They ordered the CD through the traditional postal system. One
country has just 768 kbps connection to Internet[1], and that's all for
everyone. That connection is used to send all the e-mail in and out
from the country, a lot of Windows update, and the whole connection is
bogged down with worms.

[1] http://www.tacticaltech.org/africasource

We have a lot of experience with this though the FAIR-project[2], and
Skolelinux-users in Africe, and to expect them to get a DVD-burner
is often economicaly out of the question:

[2] http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/3355/469

> Skolelinux know-how can't be used elsewhere, meaning it isn't used
> elsewhere. That leads to isolation, doing the job that we could do
> together with others.

Fist of all, debian-edu know-how is used elsewhere, as the
CDD-projects[3] (Custom Debian Distributions) and use in Africe shows.

[3] http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian

80% of the world population don't have access to the western
possibilities with computers and Internet. I remember a discussion
around this at GUADEC 2004. The Spanish group from Linex told about
their roll-out of 50,000 computers in Extramedura. They told about the
use of computers, and that the person from Brazil should do the
same. We could observe from the face of the Brazilian person that he
got more and more angry, and when it was his turn to say something, he
stated that there were no schools at all for a lot of young kids in
his country, and they built Telecentros, as a kind of library service
that the kids could learn to read.

I believe the person from Brazil would be angry in the same way at
you, if he had the luxury and the money to meet you face-to-face ...

> It would good to have packages like debian-edu-config-bind and
> debian-edu-config-dhcpd. Or combinated in debian-edu-config-domain.

This is a work that is started, but not at all finished. We have
spent, and spend a lot of time together with the people in
CDD-projects (Custom Debian Distributions). If you're not already a
contributer, you're invited to join[4] our common effort to make Custom
Debian Distributions better, as we urge everyone with suggestions to
do the necessary work to deliver. You'll come a bit longer when
contributing than to expect others to meet your expectations. And
remember, there are the schools and the teachers in a lot of
developing countries that uses Skolelinux. It should be so simple that
everyone could set up an expandable network at their school with
scarce resources.

[4]
http://developer.skolelinux.no/artikler/join_the_skolelinux_effort.html

Knut Yrvin