Re: Can't start X-windows GUI or KDE or GDM from Woody 3.0 r2 cds

On 16-05-2005 18:57, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

>>Please do *NOT* instruct non-developers and non-testers to use
>>non-stable material if what they ask for is something stable.
>

> He didn't say he wanted something stable.  He said he wanted something that
> would work.  Woody is out-of-date practically and will very soon be out of
> date literally.

I welcome your optimism regarding release date of etch (the Debian
release following sarge): http://www.debian.org/security/faq#lifespan

If you argue that woody being out-of-date is not a question of security
updates, but rather desktop features, then please explain to me how you
expect KDE 3.3 or OpenOffice to run on the 80486-based machine Jon
talked about.

> It would be unfortunate to begin planning a system based
> on it now, even if it did work.

Planning a CDD, yes.

Planning an single-machine installation, possibly with low bandwidth to
get all the updates that will without doubt come out in the upcoming
months after the first official stable release (which by the way haven't
happened yet - only today sarge was considered stable enough for
widespread testing if upgrades works as flawlessly as we off course all
hope!), on an 80486 machine? Not unfortunate at all!

> Way back in April 2005, Jon Post wrote:
>
> | I am working with the Debian 3.0 r2 disks (Woody, 7 CDs) and a couple of
> | university computing students to try to find or make a lightweight
> | distribution suitable for schools, orphanages, prison reform centers, and
> | libraries.
>
> In the context of the above older message, it looks to me like Jon is
> developing a Debian-based, lightweight distribution suitable for schools,
> etc.  Ironically, an experienced debian developer replied to the above
> message advising him to use sarge.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2005/04/msg00170.html

Let me interpret that email for you, since you seem to read something
else from it than I know (from somewhat reliable source) was intended:

First paragraph was a hint that if _using_ anything but Skolelinux then
other mailinglists are recommended instead.

Second paragraph clarified that if thinking in further _developing_ the
officially released woody-based Skolelinux, then a better approach would
be to help work on the next generation based on sarge.

The remaining paragraphs are details for us (including or excluding Jon,
dependent on wether he considers himself "user" or "developer") for
further discussion about support in Skolelinux for a lighter desktop.

Thanks to the questions by Jon, awareness has been raised between us
developers about a need for a lighter desktop.

I would love to have more good input from Jon - but I would hate to
learn that he had choked on a too big mouthful handed by us.

Warm and constructive regards,

 - Jonas

- --