Re: Can't start X-windows GUI or KDE or GDM from Woody 3.0 r2 cds

Dear Jon (and copy to the list),

On 16-05-2005 12:42, Jon Post wrote:
> I'm a new user living in Kyrgyzstan.  I want to find (or make) a light
> install (GUI) for 486's with a basic word processor and spread sheet and
> typing tutor in Russian.

This mailinglist concerns developing a "Custom Debian Distribution"
(CDD) called "Skolelinux", aimed at complete installations for a school
network.

Your interest sounds to be setting up a single (old) computer with
Linux. If so, I suggest you contact one of the Debian mailinglists
aiming at users to get the best possible hep for that. See more here:
http://lists.debian.org/users.html

The Skolelinux CDD is currently closely tied to KDE so is too heavy for
your 486 (unless you install on a quicker machine and use the 486 only
as a "thin client", but that does not soound like what you want).

Skolelinux may support lighter desktops in the future, but not today.

> I tried to install the woody cds 3.0 r2.
> I installed the base system and in tasksel choose X-windows interface.
>
> When I reboot, I get a command line with the following:
> warning: process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested.
> Is this the problem, and if so how do I change it?

I sincerely recommend you take that question to a mailinglist aimed at
users - this one is aimed at developers (and in the lack of alternatives
also to some extend systems administrators of Skolelinux networks).

Even if someone on this list may have suggestions for you on solving
this, you won't know if answers gotten here is of the highest possible
quality for you.

> We have sucessfully loaded the Ubuntu desktop, though at 1.5 GB it
> clearly won't help a 486. It could be a server on a P2 for other school
> projects if I could add educational programs. (Can I add Debian Jr to
> that?)

Skolelinux has interests in working together with Ubuntu for possible
future releases of Skolelinux, but currently it is not adviceable to mix
Skolelinux and Ubuntu, as it is untested and has a risk of breaking
(even if it works installing a mixture of packages it may break when
later upgrading or updating to include security fixes).

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

Debian and Skolelinux developer

- --