Re: Can't start X-windows GUI or KDE or GDM from Woody 3.0 r2 cds

Hi Jonas,

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On 16-05-2005 14:09, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 May 2005, Jon Post wrote:
> >
> >>I tried to install the woody cds 3.0 r2.
>
> > you'd probably have much better
> > success with the sarge install CD.
>
> Please do *NOT* instruct non-developers and non-testers to use
> non-stable material if what they ask for is something stable.

He didn't say he wanted something stable.  He said he wanted something that
would work.  Woody is out-of-date practically and will very soon be out of
date literally.  It would be unfortunate to begin planning a system based
on it now, even if it did work.

Way back in April 2005, Jon Post wrote:

| I am working with the Debian 3.0 r2 disks (Woody, 7 CDs) and a couple of
| university computing students to try to find or make a lightweight
| distribution suitable for schools, orphanages, prison reform centers, and
| libraries.

In the context of the above older message, it looks to me like Jon is
developing a Debian-based, lightweight distribution suitable for schools,
etc.  Ironically, an experienced debian developer replied to the above
message advising him to use sarge.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2005/04/msg00170.html

> Kind, positive regards to everyone,

It's lucky you pointed that out explicitly.

Warm returns,
Gavin