Can't start X-windows GUI or KDE or GDM from Woody 3.0 r2 cds

I'm a new user living in Kyrgyzstan.  I want to find (or make) a light
install (GUI) for 486's with a basic word processor and spread sheet and
typing tutor in Russian.

I have several disks with various Linux programs: Ubuntu 4.10, Blin 2.0,
Gentoo x86 2004.3, Defender Linux, Xandros _2, Ltsp 4.1-0 and Pilot
(X-terminal for LTSP), Knoppix 3.7 (English), Mandrake 10.0 and the 7CD
set of Debian 3.0 r2.  I don't know much about any of these.

I tried to install the woody cds 3.0 r2.
I installed the base system and in tasksel choose X-windows interface.

When I reboot, I get a command line with the following:
warning: process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested.
Is this the problem, and if so how do I change it?

During setup I chose to let debconf handle my /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
file instead of choosing to do manage it manually (which I have no idea
how to do), in spite of the note "If markers in the config file are
missing, you'll have to update the file manually or delete or move the
file." The same note was given for the  etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  A
friend who worked with Linux years ago gave me a few hours and we moved
those two files, but it still did not give me the Xwindows GUI. So we
moved them back.

I've tried tasksel and the "desktop" option. Same result.  And the Debian
Jr option - Same result.  Suggestions?

We have sucessfully loaded the Ubuntu desktop, though at 1.5 GB it
clearly won't help a 486. It could be a server on a P2 for other school
projects if I could add educational programs. (Can I add Debian Jr to
that?)

Thanks,
Jon Post