Re: Skolelinux not debian-edu? (Was: Question: what's wrong with KDE?)

mandag 25. april 2005, 10:36, skrev Jonas Smedegaard:

> On 25-04-2005 09:02, Gjermund Skogstad wrote:
> > søndag 24. april 2005, 16:55, skrev Finn-Arne Johansen:
> >>Well, I dont reject Skolelinux because of KDE, but I've talked to
> >>others. And My point is that we should not depends upon KDE, I'm not
> >>even sure it's wise to depend upon "KDE or GNOME", but that's another
> >>(although similar) issue.
> >
> > True, and in theory I'm all in favour of what you're saying. But I must
> > press "in theory".
> > The reason for this is the same as the one I used in vain when fighting
> > (and loosing) the issue of whether Skolelinux should become debian-edu.
> > I'm not about to raise this issue again, that issue is fought and is now
> > history and the batlle is definitely lost. There is however a simple
> > truth within this old history of a lost battle (and please take note):
> > You can't fit the world on a CD, It won't even fit on a DVD. (I know this
> > because I've tried!)
>
> Do you refer to the choice of name for the organisation or something else?

The mandate of Skolelinux was changed from something like "making a GNU/Linux
based solution for Norwegian public schools" into something like "making a
GNU/Linux based solution for all the worlds schools which complies with the
Debian Social Contract".

Add to this the tension created by Norwegian school-authorities being eager to
base certain key services[1] on technology where OSS still is lagging behind,
and it becomes more interesting than confortable. (At least for us
Norwegians.)

This conflict of interest can't continue for very long, and I hope we'll find
an alternative solution to both "unfree-source" and Windows before then. But
I'm not betting on it.

> I assume it is only a matter of pointing me to the right spot in public
> mailinglist archives or published minutes of a physical meeting. I don't
> want to discuss it again, just want to understand.

It has been discussed on our mailing-list(s).
I can't point you to any specific part of our mail-lists; in part because it's
some time ago, and othervise because of me repressing the case from active
memory. There's some mentioning of this transition on
linuxiskolen@skolelinux.no in 2002 and 2003. However, as I was part of
Skolelinux' bord from summer 2003 to summer 2004, it might have been
something debated on the bords mail-list.
If the latter proves to be the case then the debate would not be publicly
available.

[1]: Example on service is "nasjonale prøver"
http://www.utdanningsdirektoratet.no/eway/default0.asp?pid=212&oid=0&e=0&trg=MainPage_4459&MainPage_4459=4475:0:54,3191:1:0:0:4459;::0:0:0

--
regards

Gjermund Skogstad