Re: Question: what's wrong with KDE? (Re: 1 year report)

Gjermund Skogstad wrote:
søndag 24. april 2005, 12:16, skrev Finn-Arne Johansen:

Hmm, does that mean that your contract now is ended ?

If so I hope you still will be able to help out a bit. As you may know,
I've been working a bit with getting support for 2.6 kernel and gnome
into Debian-edu. I guess 2.4 and KDE will still be the default choice
when installing Skolelinux, but I also know there is many out there that
won't use Skolelinux because of KDE.

This rumor is something I've heard before but never been able to understand.

Well being one of those who never have liked KDE, but I have used and likes icewm, blackbox and gnome, I'm able to understand them.

Would you be kind enough to enlighten me with regard to what the problems using KDE are (to extent of rejecting the use of debian-edu/Skolelinux)?

Well, I dont reject Skolelinux because of KDE, but I've talked to others. And My point is that we should not depends upon KDE, I'm not even sure it's wise to depend upon "KDE or GNOME", but that's another (although similar) issue. So please stop picking at me. But if you feel that I should take the work I'm currently doing for Debian-edu elsewere, then please tell me so. Some of you guys seems like the suits I've meet the last years that tells me that MS is the only way to go. If it aint KDE, and if it Aint Free Software then we cant use it, some of you says to me. If we lock ourself to KDE, and never anything else, then I guess we might as well leave it.

And while I'm at it; what is the alternative for these folks? Windows or another GNU/Linux like K12LTSP?
[snip]

SOme of them might choose K12LTSP or a Windows solution yes, but that is not the point. So what if they have good reasons for choosing something else. We shouldn't lock anyone to any technology. If it's easy to choose a Gnome desktop, then let people do so.

For the reccord; I'm not saying there's anything wrong using Gnome, only asking what's wrong with KDE.

I dont say that it's wrong to use KDE, but please dont force me to use it.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no