Re: Why CMS instead of integration with Debian web?

Please forward to the list as I do not have today any easy way to send
an email with another system than gmail ... that does not allow me to
change my sender address that is registered in the mailing list.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:46:09 +0100, Ralf Gesel|ensetter <rgx@gmx.de> wrote:
> hey jonas,
>
> how are you. I appreciate your ivestigative approach. it throws another
> light onto the cms debate, rather from a developer angle. I reckon this
> really important, as the interchange between coding developers and the
> community of supporting users tends to be too low in general.

I have taken part last year to the discussion that has lead to the
choice of Plone as CMS for Skolelinux.

Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to contribute much to
its content, as I would have liked to.

I have not followed the details of the discussion regarding the choice
of plone vs eZ, and I fully respect the decision that I believe has
been made as fully aware.

I truly believed last year that plone was (and still is ) a good
system to set up a multilingual site.

I see that with plone the web site has greatly evolved, and much of
its content has been made available to non norwegian speakers, through
the temporary use of English that as allowed to translate further some
pages into "local" languages.

> Am Montag, 14. März 2005 19:29 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> > My intend was to point out that diversity comes at a price. And that
> > Skolelinux may be aware of that, but maybe not. So you responded that
> > you are very well aware and have indeed chosen deliberately to put
> > this extra burden onto the contributors. Fine...

> I doubt that this is valid generally: True maybe for contents that is
> made by developers for developers - what has been called rather
> "static". But as for information that is (to be) written by users for
> users (teachers, pupils), a usable CMS is not only a facility. It
> empowers / recrutes a huge amount of possible contributers: Entire
> classes can work in their language on documentation and teaching
> materials.

this is definitively true. But as languages are barriers, and the
"lingua franca" of XXI century is English, a rather poor English maybe
with respect to the one used in litterature, but still it allows for
exchanges between Norwegian teachers and probably students and say
Swedich or Belgian or French ones. As most pupils (aka users) of
skolelinux od not yet know any other languages than their mother one,
the one who can write will only write in their own languages. The
other ones should be proposed to help with the translation onf the
pages in their native languages to English and from English to develop
the exhcanges and the creations for the users.

For what I have seen, skolelinux, that I consider personnaly very good
and that I would like to see more USED and supported in France and
Belgium is simply not because most of its documents and referenced are
not in French, (despite Hilaire very good work) while the concurrent
solution (abuledu) is in French completely.

But this lack of cooperation is also a difficulty when we have to face
the competition from proprietary solutions: last year in Belgium,
there was a large request for proposal to equip 240 schools in
Brussels and *NO* solutions like abuledu of skolelinux or similar have
been retained in the analysis and today we see that these schools are
equipped with less computer with .... microsoft software (the only
exception if that they come with openoffice.org as office suite)

I find this situation *very* deceiving when I have tried to work for
another solution. But this is also the result of whe we have when not
working together.

I do really hope that  the solution that you have choosen will help to
reduce the burden that the translation is and to ease the cooperation
and exhcange we can develop altogether.

> So, I'd rather call it a shift of burden onto the shoulders of those the
> contents aim to.
>
> Now from my memory, the push and pull factors that make a migration
> worth a thought:
>
> - Plone:
> - content and layout is not separated.
> - you are stuck to the initial format
> - no stable sftp / cvs interface
> - no translation utility / notification on change
>
> + eZ:
> + content and layout is separated
> + all pages can be exported in any supported format
> + interfaces for easy mirroring / console access
> + each page can be stored in separate languages,
>   the selected locale is displayed if available.
> + translation function: registered translators
>   are notified in case of changes; tranlating editor.
> + support of oowriter (sxw) format

Thanks,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux - AEL - Défendre et protéger les droits des citoyens
dans la société de l'information