Re: Why CMS instead of integration with Debian web?

hey jonas,

how are you. I appreciate your ivestigative approach. it throws another
light onto the cms debate, rather from a developer angle. I reckon this
really important, as the interchange between coding developers and the
community of supporting users tends to be too low in general.

Am Montag, 14. März 2005 19:29 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> My intend was to point out that diversity comes at a price. And that
> Skolelinux may be aware of that, but maybe not. So you responded that
> you are very well aware and have indeed chosen deliberately to put
> this extra burden onto the contributors. Fine...

I doubt that this is valid generally: True maybe for contents that is
made by developers for developers - what has been called rather
"static". But as for information that is (to be) written by users for
users (teachers, pupils), a usable CMS is not only a facility. It
empowers / recrutes a huge amount of possible contributers: Entire
classes can work in their language on documentation and teaching
materials.

So, I'd rather call it a shift of burden onto the shoulders of those the
contents aim to.

Now from my memory, the push and pull factors that make a migration
worth a thought:

- Plone:
- content and layout is not separated.
- you are stuck to the initial format
- no stable sftp / cvs interface
- no translation utility / notification on change

+ eZ:
+ content and layout is separated
+ all pages can be exported in any supported format
+ interfaces for easy mirroring / console access
+ each page can be stored in separate languages,
  the selected locale is displayed if available.
+ translation function: registered translators
  are notified in case of changes; tranlating editor.
+ support of oowriter (sxw) format

Regards
Ralf.