Re: What's wrong with Plone?

- Plone:
- content and layout is not separated.
- you are stuck to the initial format

Could you please elaborate on the above two arguments? I don't
understand. It is certainly not my impression when looking at the
documentation of Plone and my little playing with it.

You either edit 1) Plain text, 2) HTML, 3) Structured text.

If I make a document in pure HTML, you can't edit it as structured text, and vice versa.

- no stable sftp / cvs interface

Zope have had WebDAV and FTP access for a few years. I would assume
WebDAV is far more stable than FTP because of its saner design (FTP is
an ooold clumsy protocol) and because it is a derivative of the primary
protocol of the system: HTTP.

Hey - from MacOS X you can simply browse into Zope by entering the web
address of the administration interface. I think you can do similarly on
recent Windows systems and through Konquerer (KDE) and Nautilus (Gnome).

Do you really believe that a PHP-based interface promised by the eZ guys
(but not yet written!) will be more stable than those of Zope?

WebDAV is stable in eZ, they /claim/. Yes, it will have to be proven before any final decicions are made. (We haven't decided on eZ yet, contrary to your claims. More on that in a mail coming shortly.)

I tried to write a wrapper script to interface Zope through CVS, but both the WebDAV- and FTP-interface gave me a corrupt ZopeDB.

- no translation utility / notification on change

...because it was decided not to use it (partly because back then it was
too unstable) at the time of setting up the Skolelinux Plone site, right?

Hell yes. It was COMPLETELY useless.

Here is what seems to be the relevant documentation for Plone:
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/i18n-for-developers

No, that's not for the actual content. Read the intro: "An explanation of how developers should create and edit Zope Page Templates so that they can be translated by the Plone translation team."

Oh, and BTW: Plone uses standard gettext .po files for translation...!

For templates, yes. Not for content.

+ eZ:
+ content and layout is separated

...as I believe ot is for Plone as well - but I may simply not
understand what you mean.

I write something in HTML, you open it in openoffice -- edit and save, and then a third person uses structured text/FooSyntax.

--
Alex Brasetvik