Re: What's wrong with Plone?

This is a follow-up on a remark in the related thread of cms vs. static
content.

In the following I assume we are comparing Plone 2.x with eZ Publish 3.x.

If instead comparing hand-installed, Zope 2.6-based, 1-year old Plone,
possibly even using local recompiled Python and various plugins - then a
fair comparison would be against the just as outdated eZ 2.x.

If my above assumptions on the Skolelinux Plone environment is correct
(I still seek more info on the actual technical details) then it would
seem more sane to me to upgrade than to switch to a different system.

On 14-03-2005 21:46, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> Now from my memory, the push and pull factors that make a migration
> worth a thought:
>
> - Plone:
> - content and layout is not separated.
> - you are stuck to the initial format

Could you please elaborate on the above two arguments? I don't
understand. It is certainly not my impression when looking at the
documentation of Plone and my little playing with it.

> - no stable sftp / cvs interface

Zope have had WebDAV and FTP access for a few years. I would assume
WebDAV is far more stable than FTP because of its saner design (FTP is
an ooold clumsy protocol) and because it is a derivative of the primary
protocol of the system: HTTP.

Hey - from MacOS X you can simply browse into Zope by entering the web
address of the administration interface. I think you can do similarly on
recent Windows systems and through Konquerer (KDE) and Nautilus (Gnome).

Do you really believe that a PHP-based interface promised by the eZ guys
(but not yet written!) will be more stable than those of Zope?

> - no translation utility / notification on change

...because it was decided not to use it (partly because back then it was
too unstable) at the time of setting up the Skolelinux Plone site, right?

Here is what seems to be the relevant documentation for Plone:
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/i18n-for-developers

Oh, and BTW: Plone uses standard gettext .po files for translation...!

Andreas Tille: I noticed you maintain some of the Plone packages - have
Plone translation tools stabilized now?

> + eZ:
> + content and layout is separated

...as I believe ot is for Plone as well - but I may simply not
understand what you mean.

> + all pages can be exported in any supported format

Which, on the other hand, means all content must be converted to the
internal document format.

It is then crucial how finegrained the internal document format is. What
hints in e.g. a docbook file will get stripped or merged into simpler ones?

> + interfaces for easy mirroring / console access

You cannot reach Plone content from an SSH shell account - just as you
can't with eZ Publish: In both cases the content is stored in a (Zope /
MySQL) database.

Correct, you can reach eZ Publish _design_ from an SSH terminal, because
 the web design is done through PHP files. This means access to eZ
Publish design is also access to the server filesystem (it is pretty
trivial to write PHP code that echos file reads onto a web page) - which
could be seen as a security risk. so granting that right to lots of
school classes is unwise, I guess.

With Plone you have WebDAV access controlled by the application access
control. This means ordinary users can work with their content and
designers can be granted access to graphics and CSS documents - all
without letting them into the server filesystem.

Don't know about mirroring capapbilities.

> + each page can be stored in separate languages,
>   the selected locale is displayed if available.

This is standard for Debian static pages as well.

Andreas Tille: Isn't this what PloneLanguageTool does for Plone (off
course only for proper internationalized sites)?

> + translation function: registered translators
>   are notified in case of changes; tranlating editor.

Let me guess: Each translator needs to register with the site and use
the web-based tools online to do their translations.

As I understand it, with a properly internationalized Plone site the
translators can be simply passed a .pot file and maintain a .po file as
they are used to from translating applications and the Debian site.

> + support of oowriter (sxw) format

I guess this means importing oowriter documents, parsing and including
tags understood and ignoring unknown tags. Or preserving the file as
external attachment, but then not integrated further into the system.

It seems to me that Plone supports preserving the file as external
attachment, but registered with the system and with the content passed
(as good as is possible) so the file shows from text searches.

Andreas Tille: Is it possible also to write an import module to have an
external file absorbed and converted to a PloneDocument? Using
Archetypes maybe?

 - Jonas

- --