Re: What's wrong with Plone?

mandag 14. mars 2005, 18:12, skrev Jonas Smedegaard:
> Can anyone please provide details of the technical _reasons_ behind the
> Skolelinux decision to _switch_ from Plone to eZ Publish?

* The motivation making this web-site is mainly to helt teachers and the
leaders at schools to use Skolelinux / Debian Edu. Nothing more nothing
less. To make this work we also need teachers to produce content. This is
to difficoult today, and the menu's and so on need a propper clean up. This
is just a parial reason for changing to eZ. Other reasons other peopla have
told me are:

* Technical
- Memory leakage
- what to run a new Plone instance for every language
- The multilingual support
- The ability to add docbook as static documents easily to the CMS
  (this counts for both Plone and eZ)

* Usability
- Some difficulties for new unexperienced users to add articles (a lot of
news could be written by teachers. Our experience is that this is not as
easy as it should be).

* Some general critique against the use of the CMS today.
- It's not answering to the questions from the users. The CMS today is
clearly written by a old school media-person, not from an expert on
usability issues in human computer interaction.
- The new proposed design will reduce the menu's to the half, and aim
directly to what the teachers need to run or decide how to use Skolelinux
in both small and large inter-schools installation

- Knut